Beverly Hills, California.
:The Legendary Beverly House
The Beverly House is on approximately 3.7 flat acres atop a private knoll 3 blocks from Sunset Boulevard. With original landscaping by Paul Thiene, entrance gates open to one of the city's longest private drives. Architect Gordon Kaufmann was commissioned by one of Los Angeles most important families to create his legendary masterpiece. Built of terra-cotta stucco, the H-shaped residence exhibits a perfect combination of Spanish and Italian style, with intricately carved ceilings and paneled walls, French doors, balconies, and floor-to-ceiling windows, which overlook cascading waterfalls to the pool and the Venetian columns beyond the pool house. The Beverly House was built by banking executive Milton Getz. Marion Davies bought the property in 1946 for William Randolph Hearst, who moved there from San Simeon. The main level includes a 50-foot entry hall with loggia, a living room with 22-foot high arched ceilings and the library with hand-carved woodwork and 2nd-story wraparound balcony. There is also a formal dining room, breakfast room and family room with outdoor terrace for up to a 400-person sit-down dinner. A garden level contains an art-deco night club, wine cellar and one of 2 projection rooms. Additional features include spa facilities, lighted tennis court and 8-car garage. In addition to hosting John and Jacqueline Kennedy during their honeymoon, Beverly House also appeared in'The Godfather'and'The Bodyguard'movies.